Saturday, March 19, 2011

A Day's Work is Better with a little sleep

Too bad I didn't get much of it.  Personally, I think I'm just trying to channel the Heir :-)

I got home very late last night after the drive from Green River CC and for some reason woke up at 4am. Yes, I can handle a day of coaching and a performance on too little sleep. Call it my version of a beta-blocker. I think I might be afraid to see the video later (if anyone videotapes it). Part of learning how to perform is learning how to put life and thinking aside so I can just perform.

I'm still looking forward to the day. It's hard to believe that in two, very short weeks, the quartet competition will be OVER. We are sounding good and we've worked very hard for our improvements. I'm not sure that all of us are over our obsession with the numbers from the judges but I sure am. It's only 6 minutes of my life and if I try to live every six minutes of my life as if they'll be judged, I'd become too afraid to try anything; I'd only do what I knew I could succeed in doing. That's not a bad thing when you are competing. Show the judges what you do well and don't show what you are still learning to do. Of course, they care about the sound first so even if you can tap dance while singing, they don't care if you can't ring a chord. Remembering those sorts of things helps keep my singing priorities in order.

Oh well, off to turn myself into a streetwalker so the audience can see my eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment